- 2 slices soft white sandwich bread, torn into small pieces (about 2 cups)
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1 1/2 pounds ground turkey
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 8 thin slices pancetta (about 4 ounces), finely chopped
- 1/2 onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, pushed through a press
- 1 tablespoon plus 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1 cup loosely packed fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 cup Italian-style dried breadcrumbs
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
Preheat oven to 500F. Combine the bread and milk in a large bowl and soak for 10 minutes. Add the turkey, eggs, cheese, pancetta, onion, garlic, 1 tablespoon of the ketchup, the parsley, oregano, dried breadcrumbs, and salt and pepper to taste. Mix well with your hands.
Shape into an 8x5 loaf and transfer to a rimmed baking sheet. Bake for 15 minutes. Reduce the heat to 325F and slather the remaining 1/4 cup ketchup all over the top of the loaf. Bake until a meat thermometer inserted in the center of the loaf reads 165F, about 45 minutes. Let the meat loaf rest for 10 minutes, then transfer to a platter and serve.