Originally aired October 5, 2012
- For the Low-Fat Cheese Sauce:
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups skim milk
- 2 tablespoons low-fat cream cheese
- 1 1/2 cups shredded low-fat cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup salsa
- Baked Tortilla Chips
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 4 scallions, white and light green parts only, sliced
- 1 cup romaine lettuce, chopped
- Low-fat sour cream (in a squeeze bottle)
For the cheese sauce, in a medium saucepan over medium heat, combine flour, salt, onion powder and black pepper. Cook for about 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Slowly whisk milk into the pan; add cream cheese. Whisk vigorously, until even and no lumps appear. Bring to a low boil and reduce heat to a simmer. Cook about 4 minutes, stirring, until thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. Remove from heat and stir in cheese until melted.
Preheat oven to 400F. Arrange tortilla chips on a baking sheet. Top with black beans, tomato and scallions. Bake 10 minutes.
Mix salsa and cheese sauce. Pour over nachos. Top with lettuce and squeeze a small amount of sour cream in a zig-zag pattern all over the nachos.