- 3/4 cup whole wheat panko breadcrumbs
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 4 large egg whites
- 2 8-ounce boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut in half lengthwise
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 2 cups no-sugar-added marinara sauce, such as Trader Joes
- 4 cups arugula
- 1/2 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 4 ounces fresh mozzarella, cut into 8 even slices
- 1 ounce Parmigiano-Reggiano, grated
Preheat the broiler. Position a rack in the middle of the oven, about 18 inches below the heating element. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and place a wire rack on top.
Place the breadcrumbs in a shallow, broiler-proof baking dish and season with salt and pepper.
Beat the egg whites in a large bowl until foamy. Season the chicken with salt and pepper.
One cutlet at a time, coat the cutlets with egg whites, then move each cutlet to the breadcrumbs and coat evenly. Coat the chicken with 4 seconds of cooking spray and place each cutlet on the rack. Place the cutlets under the broiler and cook until browned on one side, about 8 minutes, then flip the cutlets over and brown the other side.
Bring the tomato sauce to a simmer in a large saucepan.
Place the arugula in a chilled bowl. Dress with vinegar and season with salt and pepper.
Remove the chicken from the broiler and place it in a large, ovenproof skillet. Top each cutlet with tomato sauce and 2 slices of mozzarella.
Return the cutlets to the broiler and cook until mozzarella is melted. Remove from the broiler and sprinkle the Parmigiano evenly over the chicken.
Divide the chicken and salad among 4 plates.