- 2 tablespoons olive or vegetable oil
- 2 pounds ground turkey breast or ground chicken
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin, a couple of scant palmfuls
- 1 1/2 tablespoons ground coriander, a palmful and a half
- 1 tablespoon chili powder, a blend such as Gebhardts or mild such as ancho
- Salt and pepper
- 1 carrot, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 ribs celery, finely chopped
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 fresh chili, such as jalapeo pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 to 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 3 to 4 tomatillos, finely chopped
- About 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 14-ounce can white kidney beans, drained
- Multi-grain tortilla chips
- Shredded cheese, such as Monterey jack or cheddar
- Sliced pickled jalapeo peppers
- Chopped scallions or red onions
- Chopped cilantro, tomatoes and/or lettuce
Heat oil in a pot over medium-high heat. Add meat and brown and crumble; season with cumin, coriander, chili powder, salt and pepper. Once browned, add carrots, celery, onion, peppers, garlic and tomatillos. Cover pot and cook 10 minutes, stirring occasionally to soften. Add stock and beans, and simmer uncovered to thicken.
Preheat broiler, place rack in center of oven.
Place chili in bowls arranged on a baking sheet. Top bowls of chili with chips and cheese; place in oven and broil to melt. Top with jalapeo slices, scallions, cilantro, tomatoes and lettuce or other toppings of choice.