- Salt and Pepper
- 1 pound spinach fettuccine, spaghetti or garganelli
- 1/4 cup pistachios or 3 tablespoons pine nuts
- 1 pound thin asparagus, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup loosely packed mixed fresh parsley, mint and tarragon or basil
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano, about a handful
- 2 cloves garlic, grated
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- About 1/3 cup EVOO Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Bring a large pot of water to a boil, salt it, add the pasta and cook until al dente. Drain, reserving 1 cup of pasta cooking water.
While the pasta is cooking, in a small skillet, toast the nuts.
Using a food processor, pure the toasted nuts, asparagus, herbs, cheese, garlic and lemon juice; season with salt and pepper. With the machine on, drizzle in about 1/4 cup EVOO; stream in a few more tablespoons as needed to form a smooth pesto.
In a pasta bowl, combine the pasta, pesto and reserved pasta cooking water. Toss for 1-2 minutes to coat.