- 1 tablespoon EVOO Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1-inch piece ginger, peeled and grated
- 1 chili pepper, sliced or chopped, such as Fresno or other small red chili pepper
- 3 to 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin, a scant palmful
- 1 tablespoon coriander, a scant palmful
- 2 teaspoons turmeric, 2/3 palmful
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom or 2 to 3 crushed seeds
- 4 small ripe plum tomatoes or 2 organic vine-ripe tomatoes, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 2 packages frozen chopped organic spinach, defrosted and wrung of excess liquid
- 1 1/2 pounds chicken breast or breast tenders, cut into 1 1/2- to 2-inch chunks
Heat a deep skillet over medium-high heat with the oil. Add butter and melt. When butter foams, add onion, ginger, chili and garlic; season with salt and spices. Saut to tender 5-6 minutes, add tomatoes and cook 2-3 minutes more. Add to a food processor along with stock and spinach. Pure into a smooth thick sauce, return to pan and bring to bubble. Reduce heat to a simmer and poach chicken in sauce 6-7 minutes until cooked through.
Serve with grilled, buttered Naan bread or prepared rice with cardamom seed alongside.