- 1 cup arugula leaves
- 1/2 cup basil leaves
- 1 large clove garlic, grated or pasted
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1/3 cup EVOO Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Salt and pepper
- 2 cups chopped seeded vine-ripe tomatoes
- 1/2 small red onion, finely chopped
- 1 pound thin cut slices of beef, top round or sirloin
- Kosher salt and pepper
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon ground sage
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 1 cup fine breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup grated Pecorino cheese
- Olive oil, for shallow frying
- 4 lemon wedges
Heat oven to 275F.
Place a cooling rack over a rimmed baking sheet and place in oven to warm.
For the raw sauce, combine the arugula, basil, garlic and lemon juice in a food processor. Season with salt and pepper, and stream in EVOO while food processor runs to form a pesto-like sauce. Toss tomatoes and onions with sauce and reserve.
Pound meat slices to 1/8-inch thick and season with salt and pepper. Set up three shallow dishes for dredging the cutlets: place flour in one with sage, beat eggs in the second and combine breadcrumbs mixed with cheese in the third.
Heat a thin layer of olive oil in a skillet, about 1/4 cup, over medium to medium-high heat.
Turn 2 pieces of beef in flour then egg then breadcrumb mixture. Fry to deep golden in color, 2-3 minutes on each side, transfer to oven to keep warm and repeat with remaining cutlets.
Serve beef cutlets topped with raw sauce with lemon wedges alongside.