- 3 pounds pork shoulder, cut into medium dice
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons ground coriander
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 5 jalapeos, halved
- 5 poblanos, halved
- 2 pounds tomatillos, husked and rinsed
- Olive oil, for drizzling
- 6 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 large red onion, cut into medium dice
- 1 cup oregano leaves, chopped
- 2 bottles of your favorite beer
- 1 quart of stock or water
- 1 cup cilantro leaves, for garnish
Preheat oven to 400F.
Heat a large Dutch oven over medium heat. Season pork liberally with salt, cumin and coriander. Add oil to the pot and let it get hot. Add pork and brown for about 3-5 minutes.
While pork is browning, toss jalapeos, poblanos and tomatillos with oil, salt and pepper and place on a cookie sheet. Bake for 10-15 minutes.
Add garlic and onion to the pot with the pork and sweat for 2 minutes. Remove vegetables from oven and pulse in a food processor. Add to pot with beer and stock and simmer for 1 hour or until pork is tender.
Serve with any combination of pickled red onions, rice, lime wedges, Cotija cheese, cilantro and tortilla chips.