Originally aired January 27, 2012
- For the Fries:
- 4 large russet potatoes, scrubbed, dried and each cut into 10 wedges
- EVOO Extra Virgin Olive Oil, for drizzling
- Salt and pepper
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 teaspoon smoked sweet paprika
- For the Chicken and Chorizo:
- 2 tablespoons EVOO Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 3/4 pound Spanish chorizo, cut into chunks on a bias
- 4 bone-in, skin on chicken legs with thighs attached
- Salt and pepper
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 2 large cloves garlic, sliced
- 2 medium sweet red peppers, thinly sliced
- 1 large or 2 small red hot chili peppers, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup dry sherry
- 2 tablespoons thyme, chopped
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1/2 cup flat-leaf parsley, coarsely chopped
Preheat oven to 425F.
Arrange potato wedges on a baking sheet and toss to coat lightly in EVOO. Season liberally with salt and pepper, and roast 40-45 minutes until deeply golden and crisp, turning once. When fries are done, melt butter in a small pan over medium heat until it foams. Add chopped garlic and swirl it around for a minute or 2 to infuse the butter. Toss fries in large bowl with garlic, butter, parsley and paprika.
Heat a large, cast-iron skillet or other ovenproof pan on the stovetop over medium-high heat. Add EVOO, 2 turns of the pan, and brown chicken pieces on both sides; remove to a plate. Add chorizo to skillet and lightly brown for a minute or so on each side; remove to a plate. Add onions, garlic, sweet and hot peppers to skillet and season with salt and pepper. Douse pan with sherry to deglaze; sprinkle with thyme. Add reserved chicken and chorizo back to pan and transfer to oven to continue cooking for 15 minutes, until juices run clear. Douse pan with lemon juice, garnish with parsley and serve with fries alongside.