- 6 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1/2 cup orzo
- 1 cup long grain rice
- 2 quarts chicken stock or broth, divided
- 1/4 cup parsley, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons EVOO Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 to 1 1/2 pounds button or cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, very thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh rosemary, finely chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup dry sherry or Marsala
- 1 large or 2 medium leeks, halved and thinly sliced
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped into 1/4-inch dice
- 1 onion, chopped into 1/4-inch dice
- 2 ribs celery, chopped
- 1 large bay leaf
- 1 vine ripe tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1 pound roast turkey or chicken, diced
- Baguette, to pass at table
Heat 2 tablespoons butter in a medium pot over medium heat until it foams. Add orzo and toast until deeply golden in color. Add rice and stir 1 minute then add in 2 1/2 cups stock or broth. Cover and simmer over low heat for 18 minutes, fluff with a fork and add parsley. Reserve.
Heat a soup pot over medium to medium-high heat with EVOO, 2 turns of the pan, and melt in remaining 4 tablespoons butter. Add mushrooms and cook to deep brown, 15 minutes. Add garlic, thyme, rosemary, salt and pepper, and stir a minute or 2. Add in sherry and reduce 1-2 minutes; add in leeks, carrots, onions, celery and bay. Cover and sweat 5 minutes then add tomatoes and stir. Add remaining stock and turkey or chicken; let simmer to combine flavors.
To serve, add rice to soup bowls and top with soup. Serve with warm bread and butter alongside.