- For the Biscuits:
- 4 cups flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 2 sticks cold butter, diced
- 1 3/4 cups heavy cream, plus additional for brushing
- For the Gravy: 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 small green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 small rib celery, finely chopped
- 1 jalapeo pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 2-3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 2 cans 15 ounces diced tomatoes with green chilies
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup heavy cream
- For the Sausage and Shrimp or Chicken: 2 tablespoons EVOO - Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/2 pound Andouille sausage, diced or sliced on an angle
Preheat oven to 375F.
For biscuits, combine flour, sugar and baking powder in a bowl. Work butter into biscuits with fingertips then stir in cream and combine, roll out dough on a floured surface to an inch thick and cut 3-inch round biscuits. Arrange biscuits on a baking sheet and brush heavy cream. Bake for 20 minutes until golden brown.
While biscuits bake, melt butter in a saut pan over medium to medium-high heat. Add onions, peppers, celery, jalapeo and garlic as you chop them. Season with salt and pepper, and stir 3-4 minutes. Add stock and tomatoes to vegetables and stir to combine. When the tomatoes are hot, stir in cream and simmer gravy for 10 minutes to thicken a bit.
Heat a large, nonstick skillet over medium-high heat with EVOO. Add Andouille and render; add shrimp or chicken and cook until shrimp are pink or chicken pieces are cooked through.
Serve hot biscuits alongside sausage and shrimp or chicken topped with lots of gravy.