- 3 tablespoons vegetable or olive oil
- 3/4 pound mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 2 ears corn on the cob
- Salt and pepper
- 2 to 3 medium Poblano peppers, seeded and stemmed, chopped
- 1 cup chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 small handful of cilantro leaves
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream or Mexican crema
- 2 cups shredded Manchego cheese
- 1 pound short cut pasta such as ziti with lines or macaroni
In a skillet heat oil and brown mushrooms 10 minutes. Scrape corn from cobs and add to mushrooms, season with salt and pepper and cook 5 to 6 minutes more. Reserve.
In a blender or food processor combine peppers with stock, onions, garlic, cilantro, salt and pepper, puree. In a saucepot over medium heat melt butter, whisk in flour, add milk and cream and raise heat a bit, add Poblano puree and simmer to thicken and cook sauce, 20 to 25 minutes, stir in 1 cup of grated cheese.
Bring large pot of water to boil, salt it and cook pasta to al dente, reserve a ladle of starchy cooking water. Drain pasta and toss with sauce, mushrooms and corn, add a little starchy water if too thick. Place in individual serving dishes and top with remaining Manchego. Cool and store for make-ahead meal. Bake from room temperature at 350F to brown and bubbly, 15 to 20 minutes if freshly prepared- 30 to 40 minutes if from room temp after being refrigerated.