- 1 pound ground beef, pork and veal
- 1 small onion, peeled and grated, about 1/2 cup
- 1/2 cup superfine breadcrumbs
- Salt and pepper
- About 1/8 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram, lightly crushed in your palm
- 2 organic eggs, beaten
- About 1/2 to 2/3 cup whole milk
- 6 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 round tablespoon flour
- 1 can beef consomm
- 2 tablespoons pickle relish
- Fresh dill, for garnish
Preheat oven to 400F.
Combine meat with onion, breadcrumbs, salt, pepper, nutmeg, marjoram, eggs and milk.
Melt 4 tablespoons butter in a small pot and use it to butter a large baking sheet. Using a small scoop, roll about 36 walnut-sized meatballs. Arrange snugly on the baking sheet and brush with remaining melted butter, roast 15 minutes or until cooked through.
Melt remaining 2 tablespoons butter in a small pot. Whisk in flour, add beef consomm and let thicken a bit. Stir in relish.
Serve meatballs in a shallow serving dish and douse with sauce. Garnish with dill.