- 1 tablespoon EVOO Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 5 tablespoons butter, divided
- 3 to 4 ribs celery, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 large bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 32-ounce container chicken or turkey stock, divided
- 1 to 1 1/2 pounds chopped cooked turkey
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 cup quick-cooking polenta
- 1/2 cup dried sweetened cranberries or whole-berry cranberry sauce
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 1 1/2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided
In a large skillet with a tight-fitting lid, heat the EVOO and 3 tablespoons butter over medium-high heat. Add the celery, carrots, onion, bay leaf and thyme; season with salt and pepper. Partially cover the pan to sweat the vegetables, 7-8 minutes. Sprinkle the veggies with the flour and stir for 1 minute. Whisk in 2 1/2 cups chicken stock and cook until thickened. Add the turkey and heat through. Lower the heat to a simmer.
Meanwhile, simmer the remaining 1 1/2 cups stock with the milk. Whisk in the polenta to thicken, 2-3 minutes. Stir in the cranberries (or sauce) and orange zest, then the remaining 2 tablespoons butter and half of the cheddar.
Spread the polenta over the turkey mixture; top with the remaining cheddar. Broil for 1 to 2 minutes.