- 3/4 pound ground white meat turkey, chicken or pork
- Salt and white pepper
- 1 teaspoon Chinese 5-spice powder, 1/3 palmful
- 4 to 6 thin scallions, half finely chopped and half minced
- 2-inch piece peeled ginger root, half grated and half sliced
- 3 large cloves garlic, 1 pasted or grated, 2 sliced
- A handful of breadcrumbs
- 1 egg yolk, beaten
- Sesame oil, for drizzling
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/4 pound shitake mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 cups water
- 1 quart chicken stock
- 1 red chili, seeded and sliced
- 3 cups shredded flat kale, baby bok choy or chard
- About 1/2 pound whole wheat or whole grain spaghetti
Heat oven to 400F.
Place meat in a bowl and season with salt, white pepper and 5-spice powder. Add finely chopped scallions, grated ginger, grated garlic, breadcrumbs, egg yolk and sesame oil. Mix well and roll into small meatballs. Arrange on a baking sheet, drizzle with sesame oil and roast until brown and golden, 15-18 minutes.
Heat vegetable oil in a soup pot. Add mushrooms, sliced garlic, sliced ginger and chili pepper. Stir; add soy, water and stock, and simmer to flavor. Wilt in greens and cook to tender-crisp; combine with meatballs.
Cool and store, bring to room temp and reheat to a low boil. Add pasta and cook to al dente. Serve in shallow bowls garnished with sesame oil and thinly sliced scallions.