- 1 stick butter
- 8 tablespoons flour
- 2 quarts milk
- Salt and pepper
- Freshly grated nutmeg, to taste
- 4 large egg yolks, beaten
- About 2 cups grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- 1/4 cup EVOO Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 1/2 pounds sweet Italian sausage
- 2 fresh red chili peppers, seeded and finely chopped
- 8 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 cup dry white wine or chicken stock
- 2 packages chopped frozen spinach, defrosted and separated
- 2 bunches broccoli rabe, chopped and par-boiled 8 minutes, drained
- Salt and pepper
- 3 cups ricotta cheese
- 2 egg yolks, beaten
- About 1/2 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- 1/4 cup flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 2 boxes flat, no-bake lasagna sheets, such as Barilla
Preheat oven to 375F.
For the white sauce, melt butter over medium to medium-high heat in a saucepot. Whisk in flour, cook 1-2 minutes then whisk in milk and season with salt, pepper and a little nutmeg. Let thicken to coat a spoon and adjust seasoning. Temper the egg yolks with a ladle of sauce then add them into to the pot. Stir in cheese and remove from heat.
Meanwhile, for the green layer, heat EVOO in a large skillet. Brown and crumble sausage then add chilies and garlic. Cook to soften; deglaze pan with wine or stock and add in rabe and spinach. Combine and season with salt and pepper to taste.
Combine ricotta with egg yolks, grated cheese and parsley.
Soak lasagna noodles 4-5 minutes in warm water. Drain and separate.
Grease a 9x13" baking dish with EVOO. Add half of the white sauce then a layer of lasagna pasta sheets, half the green filling, another layer of lasagna sheets, all of the ricotta, lasagna sheets, remaining green filling, lasagna sheets and remaining bchamel. Bake 1 hour until golden on top. Let stand 15-20 minutes before cutting.