- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1 large Vidalia onion, roughly chopped
- 9 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup water
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 6 ounces whole wheat elbow macaroni
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1 3/4 cups (about 7 ounces) shredded 50% reduced-fat cheddar, such as Cabot
- 1/3 cup nonfat Greek yogurt, such as Fage Total
- 1/2 cup (about 2 ounces) diced Canadian bacon
- 1/3 cup whole wheat panko bread crumbs, such as Ians All-Natural
- 1/3 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
Preheat the oven to 425F. Spray an 8x8x2-inch baking dish with cooking spray, and set aside.
Combine the onion, garlic, and water in a microwave-safe bowl. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Cover the bowl tightly with plastic wrap, and microwave on high for 10 minutes. Pour the mixture into a blender and blend it until it is completely smooth.
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the macaroni and cook according to the package directions. In the last 2 minutes of cooking, add the broccoli florets; drain.
While the pasta is cooking, bring the pureed onion mixture, mustard, and cayenne to a simmer in a small saucepan over medium heat, stirring often. Whisk in the cheddar until it has melted. Remove the pan from the heat and whisk in the yogurt.
In a medium bowl, toss the cooked macaroni and the Canadian bacon with the cheese sauce to coat thoroughly. Season with salt to taste. Pour the macaroni into the prepared baking dish, and sprinkle the panko over the top. Top with the Parmigiano-Reggiano.
Bake until the cheese has melted and the macaroni is hot throughout, about 10 minutes. Serve immediately.
11g fat (7g sat/0.9 mono/0.4 poly)