Jerry O'Connell surprises Rachael in our Season 6 premiere in 2011 with his signature Bacon & Tomato Grilled Cheese.
Jerry's Grilled Cheese Tips:
- By buttering the bread edge to edge, you get a more even golden color in the end.
- By putting cheese slices on both bread bottoms and on top of the bacon & tomato on both sides, the cheese is the glue to hold the bread and filling in their place.
- Seasoning the tomatoes with a little salt and pepper bumps up their flavor substantially; you never want to miss out on an opportunity to season your food.
- 8 ½-inch slices good quality white bread
- 4 to 5 tablespoons softened butter
- 16 slices sharp cheddar cheese, 4 slices per sandwich
- 2 large ripe tomatoes, thinly sliced
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 8 slices bacon, cooked until crispy
Preheat a griddle or skillet over medium-high heat. Spread butter on one side of each slice of bread.
Place four slices of bread, butter side down on the counter. Top each piece of bread with two slices of cheese and two slices of tomato. Season with a little salt and pepper, then two slices of bacon and the last two pieces of cheese. Finish them off with the remaining slices of bread, butter side up.
Grill sandwiches until deeply golden on both sides and the cheese has melted.
Cut sandwiches into triangles or four square pieces to serve.