- 1/3 cup EVOO Extra Virgin Olive Oil, plus some for drizzling
- 2 large cloves of garlic, crushed
- 1 fresh Fresno or cherry chili pepper, halved
- 2 1/2 pounds Yukon gold potatoes, sliced 1/8-inch thick
- Sea salt
- 3 tablespoons fresh rosemary, chopped
- 2 teaspoons fennel seeds
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 2 pounds fresh spicy lamb, pork or chicken sausages
- 1 large or 2 small bundles Tuscan kale, stemmed and coarsely chopped into large chunks
- Freshly ground pepper
- Freshly grated nutmeg
Preheat oven to 425F.
In a small pot, heat oil with garlic and chili pepper 2-3 minutes over medium heat to infuse oil.
Place potatoes in bowl and season with sea salt. Discard the garlic cloves and chili pepper and add oil to the potatoes along with the rosemary, fennel and cheese. Toss to coat evenly.
Arrange potatoes in a layered pattern beginning at the center of a 10-inch skillet moving outward and up the sides. Gently pile in the remaining potatoes and press them down. Place skillet over medium-high heat and cook 10 minutes to get the bottom layer of potatoes and the pan itself nice and hot. Cover potatoes with parchment paper and set a pie plate on top. Fill with beans or pie weights, transfer to oven and bake 20 minutes. Remove weights and parchment, and return to oven. Bake an additional 15-20 minutes until the potatoes are deep golden on top. Remove from oven and let cool to room temp. Place a plate over top of the pan, flip and unmold.
When the potatoes are just about ready to come out of the oven, par-boil sausages in shallow boiling water to heat through. Coat them with a drizzle of oil and arrange them on one side of a cooling rack set over a baking sheet.
Dress the kale lightly with a drizzle of EVOO and season with sea salt, pepper and a hint of nutmeg. Place kale alongside the sausages on the cooling rack and transfer baking sheet to the oven. Bake until both are crispy, 10-12 minutes.
Cut potato cake in wedges and serve alongside sausages and kale.