- 1 full (2 breasts attached) bone-in, skin-on chicken breasts, 2 to 2 1/2 pounds
- 1 medium onion, cut into quarters
- 1 small lemon, sliced
- 1 carrot, cut into quarters
- 2 ribs celery, cut into quarters
- 2 large bay leaves
- Small bundle parsley, thyme and rosemary
- 1 tablespoon EVOO Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 small or 1 large carrot, peeled and cut into 2-inch matchsticks
- 1 small zucchini, trimmed and cut into 2-inch matchsticks
- 1 large or 2 small leeks, trimmed, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced on an angle or chopped into matchsticks, washed and dried
- 3 to 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- Salt and white pepper or finely ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 2 1/2 cups chicken stock (poaching liquid)
- 1 box frozen peas, defrosted
- 1 pound egg tagliatelle
- A handful of parsley, thyme leaves and rosemary, very finely chopped
- 1 lemon
- Grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
To poach the chicken, place chicken, onion, lemon, carrot, celery, bay and herb bundle in a pot, cover chicken with water and bring to boil. Once boiling, reduce heat and simmer 45 minutes. Strain and reserve poaching liquids, cool chicken to handle. Remove skin and bones then pull meat into thin, bite-sized pieces.
For the pasta, heat EVOO, 1 turn of the pan, with butter over medium heat. Add carrots, zucchini, leeks and garlic, season with salt and white pepper, and saut to tender, 6-7 minutes. Sprinkle veggies with flour and stir a minute more. Deglaze pan with wine then stir in 2 cups reserved poaching liquid. Thicken to lightly coat spoon, add in chicken and peas, and reduce heat to low.
Bring a pot of water to a boil for pasta. Add salt and cook pasta to al dente. Drain and toss with chicken and sauce, adding an additional 1/2 cup poaching liquid if pasta gets too tight.
Zest lemon and combine with finely chopped herbs. Juice lemon into pasta and serve in shallow bowls topped with gremolata and some cheese.