- 8 pieces bone-in, skinless chicken
- Salt and black pepper
- 1 serrano chile pepper, chopped
- 2 red Fresno chile peppers, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano or marjoram leaves, from 1 stem or 1 1/2 teaspoons dried
- 4 fresh bay leaves
- Zest and juice of 2 limes
- 1 rounded tablespoon smoked sweet paprika
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon EVOO Extra Virgin Olive Oil, divided
- 2 teaspoons, 2/3 palmful, cumin seeds
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 cup chicken stock
- A handful each of mint leaves and cilantro leaves
Place chicken in a shallow dish and season with salt and pepper. In a food processor, process chilies, garlic, oregano or marjoram, bay, lime zest and juice, paprika and about 1/4 cup EVOO into a paste. Slather all over the chicken pieces, coating them evenly. Chill several hours or overnight.
Heat 1 tablespoon of EVOO in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add cumin seeds and swirl a few seconds to toast then add chicken pieces and lightly brown, 10 minutes. Sprinkle sugar over the chicken and add stock. Partially cover and cook 10 minutes more. Toss with mint and cilantro, and serve with mashed blue potatoes alongside.
Remove leftovers from bone and make sandwiches with hot sauce mixed with mayo the next day.
Serve with Blue Mashed Potatoes.