- EVOO Extra Virgin Olive Oil, for drizzling
- 1 large shallot, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 pounds fresh tuna steak, coarsely chopped
- 2 teaspoons Herbes de Provence, 2/3 palmful
- 1 teaspoon fennel pollen or ground fennel
- 1 1/2 teaspoons celery seed, half a palmful
- Salt and pepper
- 4 slices Gruyre cheese or 1 cup packed shredded Gruyre
- Celery leaves
- Flat-leaf parsley leaves
- A small handful of torn basil or tarragon leaves
- 1/2-inch thick slices of ripe tomato
- 1/2 cup Dijon mustard or Dijonnaise
- 2 tablespoons nonpareil capers or chopped capers
- Sliced or chopped cornichons
- Brioche buns, split
In a small skillet over medium heat, saut shallots and garlic in a little EVOO to soften. Cool completely.
Place tuna in food processor and pulse into coarse ground meat. Place tuna in a bowl and add shallots and garlic, Herbes de Provence, fennel, celery seed, salt and pepper. Form 4 patties and reheat skillet over medium-high heat with a drizzle of EVOO. Add tuna burgers to the pan and cook 3 minutes on each side for pink centers and 5-6 minutes to cook through. Top patties with cheese after they are flipped, loosely tent pan with foil to melt cheese.
Combine Dijon or Dijonaise with capers in a small bowl.
Place cheeseburgers on bun bottoms and top with a mixture of celery, parsley and basil or tarragon leaves, sliced cornichons and tomatoes, and slather tops with Dijon or Dijonnaise. Set bun tops in place and serve.