- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger-garlic paste
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 4 (4-ounce) boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 3 tablespoons besan (chickpea/gram flour)
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 3 tablespoons chopped garlic
- 1 cup plain yogurt, whisked
- 3 green chiles, stemmed and chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger-garlic paste
- 5 tablespoons fresh cilantro-leaf paste
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Melted butter
- Chaat masala
Make the first marinade: Put the ginger-garlic paste, salt and lemon juice in a large, deep bowl. Stir well and add the chicken. Stir again so that all the chicken pieces are coated. Cover and put in the refrigerator to marinate for 30 minutes.
Make the second marinade: Place a nonstick griddle over low heat. Add the besan and toast, stirring continuously, for 1 to 2 minutes or until it is fragrant and lightly browned. Add the turmeric. Toast over low heat for 2 minutes. Transfer to a dry bowl.
Return the griddle to low heat. Add the garlic and toast for 3 to 4 minutes or until lightly browned. Set aside.
Put the yogurt, chiles, ginger-garlic paste, roasted besan and turmeric, cilantro-leaf paste, browned garlic, lemon juice, garam masala, and oil in a bowl and stir well.
Add to the chicken and stir well. Cover and put in the refrigerator to marinade for 3 hours.
Preheat the oven to 425.
Put the chicken pieces on metal skewers and arrange in a single layer on a rimmed baking sheet. Cook for 20 minutes, basting with butter every 5 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through.
Gently remove the chicken from the skewers. Sprinkle with the chaat masala and serve immediately.