- 24 ounces ground beef
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 3 to 4 tablespoons grated onion
- Salt and pepper
- 4 large, soft burger buns or brioche buns or 8 slider-size buns
- 1/2 pound macaroni
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 red chili pepper, such as Fresno, finely chopped
- 2 4-ounce jars chopped pimientos, well drained and finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons sweet paprika, about 2/3 palmful
- 2 round tablespoons flour
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 2 cups extra-sharp cheddar cheese
- Chopped pickles
- Peppadew peppers
- Chopped lettuce
- Tomatoes, sliced or diced
Bring a pot of water to a boil for the pasta and heat a cast-iron skillet or large griddle pan over medium-high heat.
Combine meat with Worcestershire, grated onion, salt and pepper, and form patties, 4 large or 8 small. Drizzle patties lightly with oil. Separate buns and arrange bottoms on a platter.
Undercook the macaroni by a minute in boiling salted water. Meanwhile, melt butter in a small pan over medium heat. Add garlic and chilies, and stir 3 minutes. Add pimientos and heat through. Add paprika then flour and stir 1 minute. Whisk in milk and let thicken. Season with salt and pepper then stir in cheese to melt. Add macaroni and stir to combine.
Cook burgers 3-4 minutes on each side for large burgers, 2-3 minutes on each side for sliders for medium doneness.
If using fixins, place them on bun bottoms. Place patties on bun bottoms and top with mac 'n cheese and set bun tops in place.