- 8 ounces extra-firm tofu, pressed
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- teaspoon garlic powder
- cup light olive oil (or 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil and 2 tablespoons canola oil)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 8 slices whole-grain bread, lightly toasted
- 4 to 5 medium-size ripe tomatoes, preferably organic, cored and sliced
- 16 slices English cucumber
- cup Pickled Red Onions
- cup roughly chopped assorted fresh herbs, such as basil, oregano, parsley, and chives
Cut the pressed tofu into small chunks and transfer them to the bowl of a food processor fitted with the metal blade. Add the lemon juice, parsley, mustard, and garlic powder and pulse 10 to 15 times. Scrape down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula and then pulse for about 15 seconds.
With the food processor running, slowly drizzle the oil through the feed tube into the tofu mixture, blending until it is the consistency of mayonnaise, 2 to 3 minutes. If necessary, thin the tofu with water, 1 teaspoon at a time. Season to taste with salt and pepper, and pulse to mix. Set aside until ready to use, or transfer to a container with a tight-fitting lid and refrigerate for up to 10 days.
Spread about 1 tablespoon of tofu spread on each slice of toast. Top with the tomato and cucumber slices and season to taste with salt and pepper.
Top each open-faced sandwich with pickled onions and a generous sprinkling of fresh herbs.