- 3/4 cup Mexican honey, plus some for drizzling
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 large pieces bone-in, skin-on chicken breast, each cut in half across the breast to produce 4 pieces similar in shape and size to thighs
- 4 bone-in, skin-on pieces chicken thighs
- 4 bone-in, skin-on drummers
- Salt and pepper
- Oil for frying, such as soy or canola
- 4 extra-large egg whites
- 3/4 cup cornmeal or fine breadcrumbs
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon ancho or medium-heat chili powder, a palmful
- 1/2 tablespoon smoked sweet paprika, half a palmful
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder, 1/3 palmful
- 1 teaspoon granulated onion, 1/3 palmful
- 1 teaspoon cumin, 1/3 palmful
- 1 teaspoon coriander, 1/3 palmful
- 1 lime, cut into wedges, for garnish
Mix honey and vinegar in a bowl and add chicken. Toss to coat and marinate 4 hours. Drain chicken pieces on paper towels and season with salt and pepper.
Heat 3 inches of oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Oil should reach between 350F and 375F for frying.
Beat egg whites in a shallow dish. Combine cornmeal or breadcrumbs with flour, baking powder and spices.
Coat the chicken pieces in the egg whites then toss in the flour mixture. Fry in small batches, 12-14 minutes per batch, until deep golden and juices run clear. Season hot chicken with a little extra salt as they come out.
Serve with lime wedges, honey for drizzling and assorted hot sauces, and a tomato, red onion and avocado salad alongside.