- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons EVOO Extra Virgin Olive Oil, divided
- 1 bundle dinosaur, Tuscan or black kale or other dark, leafy green, stemmed and shredded
- Sea salt or kosher salt
- Black pepper
- Freshly grated nutmeg, to taste
- 1 small chili pepper, red Fresno or jalapeo, seeded and finely diced
- 1 small green bell pepper, seeded and finely diced
- 1 small red onion, finely diced
- 3 to 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup drained sweet peppadew peppers (small pickled peppers), finely diced
- 1 1/2 pounds medium to large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 tablespoon, a scant palmful, smoked sweet paprika
- 1 tablespoon, a scant palmful, ground coriander
- Hot sauce, to taste
- Juice of 1/2 orange or lemon
- 1 cup white or golden beer, such as Blue Moon
- 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup quick-cooking polenta
- 2 tablespoons honey
In a saucepot, bring water to a low boil.
Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon EVOO over medium-high heat in a saut pan. Add kale and wilt, season with salt, pepper and nutmeg to taste. Reduce heat to low.
Heat 1/2 tablespoon EVOO in another skillet over medium-high heat. Add peppers, onions and garlic, season with salt and pepper, and cook to tender crisp, 3-4 minutes. Remove to a plate.
Pat shrimp dry, season with salt, pepper, paprika and coriander. Add remaining 1/2 tablespoon EVOO to the skillet, half a turn over high heat. Add shrimp and toss 3-4 minutes until firm and blackened at edges. Add hot sauce then douse pan with orange juice and beer. Add vegetables back to pan, reduce heat and add 2 tablespoons butter. Keep warm and bubbling over low heat.
Add milk to the saucepot with the water and raise heat. Whisk in polenta until it thickens, 2-3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, stir in honey and melt in a tablespoon of butter.
Serve polenta in shallow bowls and top with some greens and a pile of confetti shrimp.