- 1 small pouch dried porcini mushrooms, a handful
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons EVOO - Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 10-ounce package or about 3/4 pound crimini mushrooms, wiped clean then thinly sliced
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 bundle Tuscan kale, stemmed and shredded or chopped
- Salt and pepper
- Freshly grated nutmeg, to taste
- 1 pound farro or whole grain short-cut pasta, such as strozzopretti, gemelli or penne
- Freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
Heat dried mushrooms in the stock to reconstitute then pure in a food processor. In a saucepot, combine porcini pure with the whole milk and cream, and bring to a bubble. Reduce heat to a simmer and let sauce thicken to coat a spoon.
When sauce begins to thicken up, bring a large pot of water to a boil for the pasta.
Meanwhile, heat EVOO, 3 turns of the pan, in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and brown 12-15 minutes. Add shallots, garlic, stir 2-3 minutes more then wilt in kale and season with salt, pepper and nutmeg, to taste.
Salt boiling water and cook pasta to al dente. Toss pasta with thickened mushroom sauce and mushroom-kale mixture. Serve immediately in shallow bowls topped with cheese.