- 2 cups canola oil
- 12 (6-inch) blue corn tortillas
- Kosher salt
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 12 large eggs, lightly beaten
- Fresh ground black pepper
- Roasted Tomatillo Sauce (recipe follows)
- cup plus 4 teaspoons crema, creme fraiche, or sour cream
- 1 cups (6 ounces) grated white cheddar cheese
- 4 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 12 tomatillos, peeled, rinsed, and halved
- 1 large red onion, quartered
- 4 cloves garlic
- cup plus 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup fresh spinach leaves
- 1 tablespoon pureed chipotle chile in adobo
- cup fresh lime juice
Heat the oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat until it reaches 350 F on a deep frying thermometer.
Fry the tortillas, one at a time, in the hot oil until just crispy, 20 to 30 seconds. Remove to a plate lined with paper towels and season lightly with salt.
Heat the butter in a large skillet over low heat. Add the eggs, and season with salt and pepper. Cook slowly, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, until soft curds form.
To serve, ladle some of the tomatillo sauce into 4 shallow bowls and top each with a fried tortilla. Spread 1 tablespoon of the crema and a few tablespoons of the sauce evenly over each tortilla. Top each with some of the eggs and then 2 tablespoons to the cheddar cheese. Top with another tortilla, repeat, and then top with a final tortilla. Soon the remaining eggs and cheese on top and garnish each serving with a tablespoon of the chopped cilantro leaves.
For the Roasted Tomatillo Sauce: Preheat the oven to 375 F.
In a small roasting pan, toss the tomatillos, onion, and garlic with the three tablespoons olive oil, and season with salt and pepper. Roast in the oven until the vegetables are soft and golden brown, 20 to 25 minutes.
Meanwhile, bring a medium pot of salted water to boil. Set up an ice bath in a medium bowl. Blanch the spinach in the boiling water for 30 seconds, then drain and transfer to the ice water. Drain the spinach well and squeeze out the excess water between your hands.
Transfer the tomatillos, onion, and garlic to a food processor, and add the chipotle, lime juice, and spinach. Process until smooth. With the motor running, slowly add cup olive oil until emulsified. Season with the honey and the salt and pepper to taste. Serve warm.