- 1 loaf Pullman bread, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 pound bulk apple chicken sausage, removed from casing
- 1 large red onion, chopped
- 2 cups turkey stock or canned low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 tablespoon poultry seasoning
- Salt and pepper
Preheat the oven to 350F. Arrange the bread cubes on a baking sheet. Melt half the butter and pour over cubes. Bake until lightly golden in color and slightly dried out, about 15-20 min.
In a large skillet, melt the remaining butter over medium heat. Add the sausage and cook for 5 minutes, crumbling the meat with the back of a spoon. Add the onion, cook until tender and the meat is browned, 7-10 minutes. Transfer mixture to a large bowl and let cool.
Add the toasted bread cubes, stock and eggs to the bowl and mix well (use your hands if you like -- its fun!). The mixture should be moist but not soggy; add a little more stock if you like your stuffing wetter.
Season the stuffing with poultry seasoning, salt and pepper. Place in a 9x13" buttered baking dish and bake for 30 minutes. (To keep the stuffing moist; cover the top loosely with foil while it bakes.)