- 4 bone-in pork chops, about 1 1/4 inches thick
- Salt and pepper
- EVOO Extra Virgin Olive Oil, for liberal drizzling
- 4 slices good quality bacon, chopped
- 1 1/2 pounds Yukon Gold or other golden potatoes, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 2 medium onions, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 2 to 3 Gala, Honeycrisp or Golden Delicious apples, cored and cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1 teaspoon caraway, about 1/3 palmful (optional)
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup cloudy cider or chicken stock
- 1/2 pound brick extra-sharp white cheddar cheese, shredded
Preheat a warm oven, about 175F, and heat a dinner platter. Bring chops to room temp and season with salt and pepper.
Heat a cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat. Once hot, add a drizzle of oil and the chops. Cook about 12 minutes using a loose foil tent or splatter guard. Turn occasionally, until chops are browned and firm but not hard to the touch. Transfer to warm platter and cover with foil.
Add another turn of the pan of oil to the hot skillet. Add bacon and cook 2 minutes to render some of the fat. Add potatoes and onions, season with pepper and cook 7-8 minutes. Add in the apples, and caraway, if using. Cook 5-6 minutes more. Add salt to taste, vinegar, and cider or stock to pan. Turn the hash in the pan until the liquid evaporates, about 2 minutes. Top hash with shredded cheese and serve alongside the pork chops.