- 3 ancho chilies, seeded and stemmed
- 2 tablespoons EVOO Extra Virgin Olive Oil or vegetable oil
- 1 pound crimini or Portobello mushrooms, chopped
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 medium bell or mild frying pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 Fresno or jalapeo chili, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon smoked sweet paprika or paprika
- 1 tablespoon cumin, a palmful
- 1 tablespoon coriander, a palmful
- A couple of pinches of cinnamon
- 2 cans black beans
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 bottle of Negra Modela beer
- 2 limes
- Extra-sharp cheddar cheese, shredded or crumbled
- Sliced scallions and chopped cilantro, for garnish
- Corn tortilla chips, for dipping
Place anchos in a pot and cover them with 3 cups of water. Bring to boil then lower heat and simmer gently to reconstitute the peppers.
Heat EVOO, 2 turns of the pan, in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and brown. Add onions, peppers, chilis and garlic; season with salt, pepper, paprika, cumin, coriander and cinnamon. Cook to soften onions, 7-8 minutes.
Add beans to chili pot and stir to heat through. Add tomato paste and Worcestershire sauce, and stir 1 minute more then add beer.
Pure the reconstituted anchos and their liquid in a food processor or blender. Add to chili. Simmer to combine the flavors then stir in juice of 1 lime. Cut remaining lime in wedges and serve with chili at table. Top chili with cheese, scallions, cilantro and serve with a few chips alongside for scooping.