- 1 rounded tablespoon flour
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 6 tofu, beef or pork hot dogs
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 small red chili such as Fresno, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup pepper jack or Monterey Jack cheese
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup yellow extra-sharp cheddar cheese
- 6 hot dog rolls
- Yellow mustard
- Sliced pickled jalapeños
- chopped seeded tomato, chopped raw onions and chopped deli pickle
Place dogs in gentling simmering water to plump and heat through. Serve hot or mark on a hot grill if you prefer crispy dogs.
While the dogs heat, place a saucepot over medium heat. Melt butter add peppers and garlic. Season with salt and pepper. Cook 2-3 minutes then sprinkle with flour and cook 1 minute more. Whisk in milk and let thicken. Melt cheese into sauce and adjust salt and pepper to taste.
Place dogs in rolls, dress with a little mustard then top with some cheese sauce, pickled jalapeños and hot dog salsa. To serve, cut the dogs across and arrange on platter.