- 4 ounces chopped portobello mushrooms, roughly chopped
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/3 egg substitute
- 1/3 cup reduced-sugar ketchup, such as Heinz
- 12 ounces 93% lean ground beef
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1/2 cup whole-wheat panko breadcrumbs, such as Ian's All-Natural
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
Preheat the oven to 450F. Line a baking sheet with foil and set it aside.
Place the mushrooms in a food processor, and pulse until they are very finely chopped; scrape them into a large mixing bowl. Add the garlic cloves to the food processor and pulse until they are finely chopped. Add the egg substitute and 1 tablespoon of the ketchup, and puree until the garlic is smooth. Scrape the garlic mixture into the bowl containing the mushrooms.
Add the beef, parsley, and panko to the bowl. Add the salt and season with pepper to taste. Using your hands, gently mix the ingredients until they are just combined.
On the prepared baking sheet, form the mixture into an 8x4x1 1/2-inch loaf. Brush the remaining ketchup over the loaf. Bake until the meatloaf is cook through, 18 to 20 minutes.
Allow the meatloaf to rest for 5 minutes before slicing.