- Salt and pepper
- 1 pound orecchiette pasta
- 3 tablespoons EVOO Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/3 pound pancetta or speck (smoked pancetta) or lean, thick-cut bacon, cut into 1/4 inch pieces
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 to 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup dry white wine or chicken stock
- 2 cups frozen peas
- 3 tablespoons fresh thyme, finely chopped
- Grated peel of 1 lemon
- A handful of grated Pecorino Romano cheese
- 2 cups cows or sheeps-milk ricotta cheese
Bring a large pot of water to a boil, salt it, add the pasta and cook until al dente. Drain, reserving 1 cup pasta cooking water.
While the pasta is working, in a large skillet, heat the EVOO over medium-high heat. Add the pancetta and cook until browned, about 5 minutes. Add the onion and cook until softened, 6 to 7 minutes. Add the garlic and cook until softened, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in the wine, then add the peas and heat through for 2 minutes; season with the thyme, lemon peel and pepper.
Add the reserved 1 cup pasta cooking water and the drained pasta; toss to combine. Add the Pecorino Romano and toss. Serve in bowls and top with the ricotta, for stirring in as you eat.