Originally aired March 5, 2010
- 1/2 teaspoon molasses
- 3/4 cup warm water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 3/4 cups whole-wheat flour, plus extra for rolling and kneading
- Nonstick olive oil spray
- 1 tablespoon cornmeal
- 2/3 cup Rocco's How Low Can You Go Low-Fat Marinara Sauce or store-bought low-fat marinara sauce
- 1 cup shredded reduced-fat mozzarella cheese, such as Weight Watchers
- 1 Portabello mushroom, sliced very thin
- 2 ounces reduced-fat pepperoni, such as Carando
- 1/2 cup torn fresh basil leaves
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
In a large bowl, dissolve the molasses in the warm water. Sprinkle the yeast over the liquid and let stand until foamy, about 10 minutes
Stir the salt into the yeast mixture. Then stir in the flour until the dough starts to come together. Turn the dough out onto a work surface that has been sprinkled lightly with flour. Knead the dough until it becomes smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes. Place the dough in a large bowl that has been sprayed with olive oil spray; cover it loosely with a clean kitchen towel. Let the dough sit in a warm place until it has doubled in size, about 1 hour.
Gently punch the dough down. Spray a 7x11-inch baking sheet with olive oil spray, and then sprinkle it with the cornmeal. Using your fingertips spread the dough out to completely cover the baking sheet. Spray the surface of the dough lightly with olive oil spray. Cover it lightly with plastic wrap, and let it sit in a warm place until the dough has doubled in size, about 30 minutes.
Place a pizza stone in the oven and preheat the oven to 500 degrees Fahrenheit.
Place the baking sheet on top of the stone, and bake until the crust is golden brown, crunchy, and cooked through, about 12 minutes. Remove the baking sheet from the oven.
Turn the broiler on high.
Spread the marinara sauce evenly over the crust. Top the pizza with the mozzarella, mushroom, pepperoni, basil, and cheese. Place the baking sheet on the pizza stone and broil until the cheese is bubbly and beginning to brown, 5 to 6 minutes. Cut the pizza into 6 slices, and serve.