- 4 6- to 8-ounce pieces flat-iron or hanger steak
- Salt and pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, 1 halved, divided
- 2 teaspoons anchovy paste
- Juice of 1 large lemon
- 1 egg yolk, optional
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- Lots of coarse black pepper
- About 1/3 cup EVOO- Extra Virgin Olive Oil, plus additional
- 1/2 cup grated Romano cheese, a couple of handfuls
- 2 medium or 1 large head escarole, washed, dried and coarsely chopped
- 1 ciabatta roll, split lengthwise or 1/3 of a ciabatta loaf, toasted and cut into quarters
- Anchovy filets, optional
Bring steak to room temp and season with salt and pepper.
Rub a large, shallow salad bowl with the cut sides of the halved garlic clove. Then grate or chop and mash all of the garlic and place in the bottom of the bowl. Add anchovy paste and squeeze lemon into the bowl. Add egg yolk, if using, Worcestershire sauce and lots of black pepper to bowl, then whisk in EVOO, about 1/3 cup. Stir in cheese and add escarole to bowl. Chop toasted ciabatta bread into bite-sized cubes and toss together with escarole and dressing. Let salad stand 10 minutes to marinate; wilting the escarole and softening the croutons.
Heat a griddle or cast-iron skillet over high heat. Wipe the pan with a little EVOO or drizzle steaks with some oil. Cook steaks 3-4 minutes on the first side and 2 on the other for medium-rare. Add few minutes to cook time for medium-well. Let meat stand a couple of minutes. Slice and serve over salad.