- 2 tablespoons EVOO - Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 8 pieces bone-in chicken thighs, skin removed
- Salt and pepper
- 1 large onion, quartered lengthwise then sliced
- 3 parsnips, peeled and cut into 2-3 inch long sticks, 1/2-inch wide
- 2 large carrots, peeled and cut into sticks
- 1 small bundle black kale or dinosaur kale, chopped or thinly sliced
- Freshly grated nutmeg, about 1/4 teaspoon
- 1/4 cup grainy Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1 cups chicken stock
- Crusty bread with nuts and raisins or cranberries
Heat 1 tablespoon EVOO in Dutch oven over medium high heat. Brown chicken seasoned with salt and pepper until golden, 3-4 minutes on each side. Remove chicken and add another tablespoon EVOO to pan, one turn of the pan.
Add onions, parsnips and carrots and season with salt and pepper. Cook to soften a bit, 5-6 minutes. Add kale to the pot and wilt in, add nutmeg. Whisk mustard, molasses and stock, pour over top of vegetables and settle chicken back into pot, bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium low, cover and cook 15-20 minutes.
Remove lid, remove chicken and reserve on a plate covered with aluminum foil. Continue simmering the liquids until thickened, about 10 minutes.
Plate and serve with crusty warm bread.