- 1 tablespoon EVOO Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 pound portabella mushroom caps, wiped clean and diced into small, bite-sized pieces
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped or grated
- 1 small red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar, eyeball it
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 8-ounce can tomato sauce
- Salt and pepper
- 4 crusty rolls, split, toasted and lightly buttered
- Sliced or chopped dill pickles, for garnish
Place a large skillet over medium-high heat with 1 turn of the pan of EVOO, about 1 tablespoon. Add the mushrooms to the pan and cook until golden brown, 7-8 minutes.
Add the onion, garlic and bell pepper to the pan and season liberally with salt and pepper. Continue cooking until the veggies are tender, 5-6 minutes more. Add the tomato paste to the pan and cook 1 minute.
In a small bowl, stir together the brown sugar, vinegar, Worcestershire and tomato sauce. Add the mixture to the skillet and simmer until thickened and saucy.
Pile the Sloppy Veggie Joes onto toasted, buttered bun bottoms and top with pickles and bun tops.