Brooke Shields Tearfully Recounts Devastating Accident + Leg Inj…
How to Make Roasted Honey-Soy Green Beans | Rachael Ray
We Surprise a Mom of 10 (Including 6 Foster Kids!) Who Works So …
How to Make Salt 'n' Pepper Pork or Chicken | Rachael Ray
How to Make Caramel Apple Shortcakes | Grant Melton
How to Make Sausages with Apples and Onions & Charred, Spiced Ca…
Robin Roberts Tearfully Recalls the Emotional Moment Her Sister …
How to Make Easy Grilled Corn with Jalapeño Cilantro Glaze | Sun…
How to Make Sheet Pan Chicken with Rosemary & Grapes | Queer Eye…
How to Make Chianti Risotto with Garlicky Spinach and Oven Charr…
Feast Your Eyes on Our Savory 16 Charcuterie Board + We Promise …
How to Make an Edible Cheeseboard With Focaccia for Your Next Pa…
How to Make Miso Ramen with Steak, Japanese-Style Tomato Salad +…
How to Make Apple Cider Doughnut Cake | Milk Bar's Christina Tosi
Cake Boss Buddy Valastro Tells Rachael His Hand Is At 95% One Ye…
Cake Boss Buddy Valastro Has Sweet Words For Rachael To Celebrat…
How to Make a Bumbleberry Pie Sundae | Gail Simmons
How to Make Spaghetti or Linguini with Red Clam Sauce | Rachael …
Coach Rob Mendez, Football Coach Born Without Limbs, Tells His I…
- 3 tablespoons EVOO Extra Virgin Olive Oil, divided
- 4 to 6 pieces veal osso bucco shanks, 1 per adult portion, tied with kitchen string
- Salt and pepper
- 1 large carrot, peeled and chopped
- 2 to 3 small ribs celery and leafy tops, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 5 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 large fresh bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons, 5-6 sprigs, chopped fresh thyme, chopped
- 2 tablespoons, a couple of sprigs, finely chopped fresh rosemary
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 pinch saffron threads
- A couple of pinches red pepper flakes
- 1 15-ounce can diced tomatoes with juice
- Juice and zest of 1 orange, divided
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1/4 cup flat-leaf parsley leaves, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup toasted pistachio nuts or pine nuts, finely chopped or processed into crumbs
- Crusty bread for mopping
Heat oven to 375F.
Heat 2 tablespoons EVOO, a few turns of the pan, in large, heavy Dutch oven over medium-high to high heat. Season the shanks with salt and pepper, add to the hot pan and brown all over, turning occasionally, 12-15 minutes. Remove to a large plate.
Add remaining tablespoon EVOO, carrot, celery and onion to the pot, stir 3-4 minutes then add fennel, 4 cloves garlic, bay, thyme, rosemary, salt and pepper, and stir a minute more. Sprinkle flour over the vegetables, stir a minute more then add wine and deglaze the pot, scraping and stirring 1 minute. Stir in chicken stock, saffron, red pepper, tomatoes and orange juice to the sauce. Scrape down pot and settle meat into pot. Cover and transfer to oven. Cook 2 hours, turning the meat once about halfway through.
When the meat is about ready to come out of the oven, combine orange and lemon zest parsley, remaining garlic and chopped or processed nuts.
Remove meat from oven. Split crusty bread and place in oven to warm through. Remove shanks to platter, cut off kitchen string. Place pot over medium-high heat, fish the bay leaf out of the sauce and whisk to combine and thicken, 4-5 minutes.
Serve shanks in shallow bowls topped with chunky sauce and some of the gremolata. Serve crusty bread for mopping alongside.