- 2 tablespoons EVOO Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 pounds coarse ground sirloin
- 1 red chili pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chili powder, a palmful and a half
- 1 1/2 tablespoons smoked sweet paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram or oregano, 1/3 palmful
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 quart beef stock
- 1 1/2 cups water or chicken stock
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 cup quick cooking polenta
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup shredded Gouda or smoked Gouda
- 1 cup sour cream
- Finely chopped fresh dill, parsley and chives for garnish
Heat a large pot over medium-high to high heat. Add beef and brown 7-8 minutes. Add hot pepper, bell peppers, onions and garlic and season with salt and pepper. Cook to soften vegetables, 7-8 minutes more. Stir in chili powder, sweet paprika and oregano. Add tomato paste to pot and stir to combine, 1 minute. Add stock to pot and bring chili to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer and cook 15 minutes more.
In a separate pot, bring water or chicken stock and milk to a boil, whisk in polenta and cook 2-3 minutes until thickened. Stir in butter and cheese, season with salt and pepper.
Fill shallow bowls with polenta, make a well in the center. Fill well with ladles of chili and top with sour cream and herbs.