- 1 tablespoon EVOO - Extra Virgin Olive Oil, plus extra for drizzling
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 1/2 pound button mushrooms and stems, cleaned and finely chopped in food processor
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons dry cooking sherry, 2 splashes
- 4 slices of turkey, about 4 cups worth
- 8 ounces chicken pat, available in specialty cheese cases of larger markets
- 1 sheet frozen prepared puff pastry, defrosted
- 1 egg, beaten with a splash of water
Preheat oven to 425F.
Heat a small skillet over medium heat. Add EVOO, 1 turn of the pan, butter, shallot and chopped mushrooms. Saut 5 minutes, season with salt and pepper. Add sherry to the pan and let the liquid evaporate. Remove from the heat.
In a nonstick skillet over high heat, sear turkey 2 minutes on each side in a drizzle of oil. Remove from heat and season meat with salt and pepper.
Cut pat into 4 pieces horizontally. Unfold the puff pastry sheet out on a cutting board and cut into quarters with a sharp knife. Roll each piece of dough into a 10x6 rectangle.
On each rectangle of dough, place 1/4 of the cooked mushrooms. Top with a slice of pat and 1 slice of turkey. Wrap the dough up and over the meat, pinch and seal the dough with egg wash and trim any excess. (You can use the leftover dough bits to make decorative garnishes for the tops.) Turn the wrapped Wellingtons over, seam-side down, and brush all over with egg wash. Use egg wash as glue to affix dough garnishes.
Bake Turkey Wellingtons 30-35 minutes, until golden. Let stand 5 minutes, then serve.