- Canola Oil, for deep-frying
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 4 salt-packed anchovy fillets, rinsed, filleted and minced
- 1 serrano chili, seeded and minced
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 scallions, white and green parts, thinly sliced on the bias
- 1/2 cup walnut pieces, toasted, and coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 pound Brussels Sprouts, trimmed and quartered lengthwise
- 2 cups loosely packed flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 2 tablespoons salt-packed capers, rinsed, and patted dry
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
Pour enough oil into a medium pot so that the oil comes 3 inches up the sides. Heat the oil to 350°F.
While the oil is heating, whisk together the garlic, anchovies, serrano, red wine vinegar, honey, scallions, walnuts, and extra-virgin olive oil in a bowl large enough to toss all the Brussels sprouts. Keep the bowl near the stovetop.
Working in batches, deep-fry the Brussels sprouts until the edges begin to curl and brown, about 3 minutes. To the last batch, add the parsley and capers (stand back, the capers will pop and sputter!). Give the contents of the pot a stir. When the color of the parsley, more saturated shade of green, about 1/2 - 1 minute, remove the contents of the pot with a skimmer and place directly into the bowl of dressing. Toss to coat. Add salt and pepper to taste.