- 2 tablespoons EVOO - Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 fresh bay leaf
- 4 celery stalks from the heart with leafy tops, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 or 4 Macintosh apples, quartered, cored, and chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons poultry seasoning
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 8 cups cubed unseasoned stuffing mix
- 2 - 3 cups chicken stock
Preheat the oven to 375F.
Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the EVOO and 4 tablespoons of butter to the skillet. When the butter melts, add the bay leaf, celery, onions, and apples as you chop them. Sprinkle the vegetables and apples with salt, pepper, and the poultry seasoning. Cook for 5 to 6 minutes to begin to soften the vegetables and apples, then add the parsley and stuffing cubes to the pan and combine. Moisten the stuffing with stock until all of the bread is soft but not wet.
Butter a casserole dish with the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter. Remove the bay leaf from the stuffing then scoop into dish. Bake until golden brown and crisp on top, about 10 to 15 minutes. Serve hot or at room temperature.