- 1 pound penne pasta or whole wheat penne
- 3 tablespoons EVOO Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped or grated
- 1 sprig rosemary, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, a couple of healthy pinches
- Black pepper
- 1 can, 14- to 18-ounce, chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 can, 28-ounce, Italian crushed tomatoes or tomato puree
- 1/4 cup flat-leaf parsley, a handful, chopped
- Grated Pecorino Romano cheese, to pass at table
Bring a large pot of water to a boil for pasta. Salt water and cook pasta to al dente.
Meanwhile, heat EVOO, 3 turns of the pan, in a high-sided skillet over medium heat. Add onions, garlic, rosemary, red pepper, salt and black pepper. Cook 7-8 minutes until very tender.
Pulse-process the chickpeas in a food processor to fine chop them. Add the chickpeas to the onions and garlic, add tomato paste and stir to combine for 1 minute then stir in the chicken stock and crushed or pured tomatoes. Adjust salt and pepper to your taste.
Toss al dente pasta together with sauce and serve in shallow bowls. Top with parsley and lots of grated Pecorino Romano cheese.