- 1 head garlic
- EVOO Extra Virgin Olive Oil, for drizzling, plus 1/4 cup
- 1 stem fresh rosemary, finely chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 1 medium zucchini, cut into 1/2-inch planks
- 1 medium red onion, cut into 1/2-inch thick slices
- 1 medium eggplant, cut into planks or rounds 1/2-inch thick
- 4 roasted red peppers, drained
- 1 28-ounce can diced or whole fire-roasted tomatoes
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- Olive oil or vegetable oil, for frying
- 1 pound fresh ravioli or defrosted frozen ravioli
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, a couple handfuls
- 1/4 cup flat-leaf parsley, a handful, finely chopped
Preheat oven to 425F.
Cut the head of garlic to expose all of the cloves. Drizzle the EVOO over the cut end to coat the cloves. Press the cut garlic into the rosemary, coating the ends of the cloves completely. Season with salt and pepper, and wrap garlic head in foil. Roast 45 minutes then let cool.
Mash cooled roasted garlic into a paste, combining it with the rosemary.
Heat a grill pan over medium-high to high heat. Pour about 1/4 cup EVOO into a dish. Using a pastry brush, brush vegetables with EVOO and season with salt and pepper. Grill in batches until zucchini, onion and eggplant are cooked and tender, 3-4 minutes on each side per batch. Coarsely chop grilled vegetables and roasted red peppers.
In a food processor in 2 batches, pure the roasted garlic, grilled vegetables, roasted red pepper and canned fire-roasted tomatoes and stock. Transfer pured vegetables to a soup pot. Heat soup over medium heat, then reduce heat to simmer. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Heat about 3 cups of frying oil in a medium-size high-sided skillet over medium heat. Set up a cooling rack placed over paper towels or a kitchen towel near the stovetop.
Arrange 3 dishes: flour, eggs beaten with a splash of water and breadcrumbs mixed with cheese and parsley. Coat ravioli in flour, egg then breadcrumbs. Fry in batches, 2 minutes on each side until golden brown. Transfer to the rack as they finish cooking.
Serve soup in shallow bowls with a few fried ravioli on top.