- 2 tablespoons EVOO Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 4 foot-long hot dogs
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup yellow mustard
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 2 cups shredded yellow cheddar
- 4 long buns, toasted
- 1/2 cup sour pickles, chopped, for garnish
- 1/2 cup hot peppers, sliced, for garnish
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped, for garnish
Place a large skillet over medium-high heat with 2 turns of the pan of EVOO, about 2 tablespoons. Split each of the hot dogs open lengthwise without cutting all the way through, and lay them cut side-down in the hot skillet (like a book). Cook until golden brown and crispy, 5-6 minutes.
While the hot dogs are cooking up, place a medium pot over medium-high heat with the butter. When the butter has melted, sprinkle in the flour and cook for about 1 minute. Whisk in the milk, ketchup and mustard. Add the chili powder, some salt and pepper, and bring up to a bubble. Simmer until thickened, 2-3 minutes. Remove the pot from the heat and stir in the cheese until melted. Reserve warm.
When the hot dogs are ready, lay them griddled side-up in a toasted bun and top with some cheese sauce, pickles, hot peppers and red onion. Serve with Oil and Vinegar Slaw and Doctored-Up Baked Beans alongside.