- 1/2 package bacon, chopped
- 1 loaf crusty Italian bread
- 3 ripe avocados
- Juice of 1 lemon, divided
- Salt and ground pepper
- 1 large clove garlic, mashed into paste
- 2 pints heirloom tomato, chopped
- 4 sprigs tarragon, chopped
- 1 1/2 cup basil, chopped
- 3 tablespoons EVOO - Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Preheat grill or broiler.
Preheat a large skillet over medium-low heat. Add bacon and cook until crispy. Drain on a paper towel-lined plate and reserve.
Slice the bread into slices about an inch thick. Char them on both sides on the grill or under the broiler. Remove and reserve.
In a medium-size mixing bowl, mash up the avocado with the juice of half a lemon, salt, pepper and mashed garlic then spread some avocado mash onto each piece of sliced charred bread.
In another mixing bowl, mix up the chopped tomatoes with the tarragon, basil, salt, pepper, reserved bacon, juice of the remaining half lemon and some EVOO. Top each of the avocado smeared bread slices with some of the tomato, bacon and herb mixture.