- 8 flour tortillas, cut into thick strips
- Cooking spray
- 1 tablespoon (a palmful) onion powder
- 1 tablespoon (a palmful) garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon (a palmful) ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon (a palmful) chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts, sirloin steak or large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 4 tablespoons oil, divided
- 1 bottle Mexican beer
- 2 red bell peppers, seeded and thinly sliced
- 2 red onions, thinly sliced
- 3 to 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped or grated
- 2 limes
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro or flat-leaf parsley
- 1 cup shredded pepper jack cheese
- Sour cream, to garnish
- Salsa, to garnish
Preheat oven to 400F.
On a baking sheet, toss tortilla strips with some cooking spray and bake in the oven until golden brown, about 7-8 minutes. Toss halfway through the cooking time so they get brown on all sides. When you remove the tortilla strips, switch on broiler and place rack in middle of the oven.
In a small bowl, combine the onion powder, garlic powder, cumin, cinnamon, chili powder, oregano. Season meat with salt and pepper then toss with spice rub to coat evenly.
Place a large skillet over high heat with 2 turns of the pan of oil, about 2 tablespoons. Add the meat to the pan and sear until golden brown and cooked through, for a few minutes. Add the bottle of beer to the pan and cook to reduce, 2 minutes.
While the meat is cooking, place a second large skillet over high heat with 2 turns of the pan of oil, about 2 tablespoons. Add the peppers, onions and garlic to the pan, and cook until brown around the edges and tender, 3-4 minutes. Add the zest and juice of 1 lime, chopped herbs, salt and pepper to the pan, toss to combine and reserve.
When everything is ready, toss the meat, pepper and onions, and toasted tortilla strips together into a casserole dish. Top with the cheese and melt under the broiler. Garnish with juice of remaining lime, sour cream and salsa.