- 1 tablespoon EVOO - Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 pound bulk hot Italian sausage
- 1 cup lentils
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 to 4 cloves of garlic, grated or chopped
- 1/2 pound cremini mushrooms, wiped clean and thinly sliced
- 1 baking potato, peeled and diced
- 2 sprigs rosemary, leaves removed and chopped
- 3 to 4 sprigs thyme, leaves removed
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 bunch kale, thick stems removed and discarded, leaves shredded
Place a large soup pot over medium-high heat with one turn of the pan of EVOO, about 1 tablespoon. Once hot, add the sausage and saut for 3-4 minutes, breaking it up into small pieces with the back of a spoon or a potato masher as it cooks and browns.
While the sausage is browning, pour the lentils out onto a light-colored plate and sift through them. Discard any small stones -- sometimes you find them sometimes you don't, but better safe than sorry.
To the browned sausage, add the onion, garlic, mushrooms, potato, rosemary, thyme, salt, pepper and the tomato paste. Cook, stirring frequently, for 3-4 minutes.
Add the stock and 2 cups of water, turn the heat up to high and bring up to a bubble. Add the lentils and the kale, stir until the kale wilts in then turn the heat down to medium and simmer 30-40 minutes, until the lentils are tender. Serve.